Final Destination to thoughts

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Deepavali!!!!

Past Forward:
Deepavali reminds me of Bhigili vedi (The loose single ones that go with a pop sound). I would have a competition mainly with the neighbouring boys and would actually run out of packets and would take a hike to the fireworks vendor to get more. Of Course, the boys would do fancy tricks like throwing this from their hand or even the mouth. My mom was a big fan of atom bomb and unlike other women who would never venture onto the roads to light up a bomb, she would be the ONE. My father would stick to the boos vanams (flower pots). Ironically, one of it decided to become an atom bomb and burnt his thumb - He still has a mark from it. So, its not the brave ones that got hurt but the opposite. Then we had the really yucky snake which would totally mess up the parapet walls. Me in my pattu pavadai running around with my sparklers is a still fresh in my mind. Anyway, deepavali was the natural mosquito killer in chennai so we would light up our crackers with great gusto. One thing I don't miss is the deepavali marundu(medicine that is made from ginger,sooku etc) that my mom compulsorily makes me eat - Since I am an adult and I get to decide what I cook - No marundu for us, what fun!

This Deepavali:
It truly delighted me that the kids are finally realizing what fun it is to light crackers. Till the last time, I had to prod them and say it was fun while Arya would look at me in a weird way and go: Is this safe? I am scared. Vik was of course too young. This time, Arya lighted all his fireworks and got mad if his daddy helped him light his - He wanted to do it all by himself. Vik wanted more of the sparklers. Byers station(The community we live in) is home away from home - We had so much fun celebrating diwali with our neighbours and did everything we possibly could - Fireworks,hot chai with gossips, Eating a sumptuous diwali dinner complete with ladoos,video conferencing to India.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home